While we’re at it, how about a lot less of this Trump Administration and Trump’s Agenda stuff? Before anyone thinks I’ve gone off the rails, here’s what I mean.
If you are familiar with my writing, you know that I’m a bit of a stickler for semantics, and word context.
As long as we keep adding the ‘Trump’ qualifier to any mention of The President, we are ‘personalizing’ an office which stands alone, or should stand alone, regardless of the occupant.
President “Trump’s” agenda is the same agenda as that of The President of the United States of America, since the persons are one in the same. Can we depersonalize it by dropping “Trump’s”
Words Do Matter
Before you write about “Trump,” ask yourself, “should I just say ‘The President’ and leave it at that?”
FWIW: President Obama and The Obama Administration ARE correct, since they identify a previous and specific administration.
Ditto: The Truman Administration and President Lincoln, since the names are relevant to the context.
“The President” by itself, however, is ASSUMED to mean the ‘current’ President, or the President in office at the time of the writing.
So please, before you hit the SEND button ask yourself, could I ‘depersonalize’ this and give the liberal opposition just one less scab at which to pick, or at least deny them the low-hanging fruit?
Should you think mere words of similar meaning are interchangeable, just take a look at all of the words and phrases that are forbidden because of the Left’s mastery of this subtle propaganda skill.
The Left knows that that context and word choice are critical. Another lesson they learned from Goebbels, their mentor.
For example, every new version of the Associated Press style book contains mountains of new ‘rules,’ all based upon political and not grammatical agendas.
How Words Matter
Just a few examples of how The Left (aka Goebbels wannabe’s / and masters of deception) are using semantics, emotion, and subtle context to affect public opinion.
Firearms and The Second Amendment
- For some reason, a law abiding citizen, carrying a legal sidearm, taking his/her family out to dinner can’t remain just that. The Liberal Translation;
“He swaggered into the restaurant with a deadly gun strapped to his hip, in flagrant disregard for the safety of his terrified children”
Apparently, according to the liberal dictionary, one cannot merely walk carrying a defensive sidearm, one must ‘swagger.’
- While you and I may sa a person was carrying a firearm, the Liberal term is “Deadly Gun Strapped To His Hip.”
- There may be no difference in meaning between ‘concealed firearm’ and ‘hidden gun,’ but the latter ‘sounds’ more evil.
- And would somebody please define what the media means when they say “assault weapon?” They can’t mean machine guns, since they have been essentially illegal since 1938.
“Immigrants” vs. Illegal Aliens / Illegal Immigrants
- Everyone knows that the the United States is a nation of immigrants.
- The Left, however, has been pretty successful in making the administration sound anti-immigrant by the mere elimination of the words criminal and illegal.
- Illegal alien is now politically incorrect, though it remains 100% accurate.
I’m far from a grammar Nazi, (as evidenced by my own writing) and if you get your message across, good for you. But if they find it effective and important, perhaps we should take a lesson or two from their playbook.
Can we get ourselves and the conservative media to replace President Trump with a simple The President when appropriate?
It’s a small step toward getting our focus back where it belongs. (And I don’t mean Russian Meddling)
But what do I know, I’m just a conflict weary old ex-spook.